Thursday, October 23, 2008

I really want to read a book...

So this is probably not a big deal for most people, but if you know me, then you know I don't really read. I can technically read of course, or phonetically or whatever, but I just don't really like to read books or anything well, long. With all the talk of the book The Shack, I thought I might pick it up and give it a go. So tonight in Target I look over all the bestsellers. They all seem really interesting and - LONG. Not Tale of Two Cities long - but more than the typical magazie article I like to read. I pick up The Shack - it looks good enough - but not what I'm really into. So then I pick up The Secret Life of Bees - I've heard of this one, and then I see the note on the cover - coming soon as A Major Motion Picture. If it is about to be in a theater as a movie, why in the world would I waste countless days reading it - so I put that one down. I I finally decide on Sarah's Key. So - I will update you on how this book is...just stay tuned in about 6 months from now when I finish it.

Sarah's Key:
Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life. Tatiana de Rosnay offers us a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround this painful episode.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've been laughing so hard I actually started crying. SO glad you're finally recording your crazy thoughts. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I can now officially cancel my DVR because I refuse to pay for quality entertainment when I can get it for free.....Marge, want to start a book club?????

margaret said...

jill - great idea - then you guys can just tell me about the book and I don't have to actually read it - just hit the highlights. okay - i need to get off this computer - i knew this blogging would be the end of me. Nancy - you are in big trouble.

My two cents said...

How did I give birth to this girl
I read about 10 books a week.

I still remember the book you read in highschooll - about a rabbit?

Do you remember - oh, Watership Down.

You do too much anyway. Love you,

margaret said...

yes, i remember watership down - i Loved that book. i even bought it again a few years ago to read. but haven't read it yet of course.